This means that a wager for Green Bay to “cover the spread” means that the Packers have to beat Minnesota by at least 8 points to make the bet a winner. Similarly, the Vikes can lose by up to 7 points and still win the wager. The moneyline is shown in parentheses, and this represents the “price tag” for the bet (i.e. how much you must risk to get a given payout). Having these fundamental principles of betting odds explained is the first step to making successful wagers. Here’s a quick reference for some common questions on betting odds explained.
- Also, if the sportsbook offers promotions around parlays, you can sometimes get a better value on the odds.
- The only difference is that the UK odds are presented as a fractional notation (e.g. 6/5) whilst the Hong Kong odds are decimal (e.g. 1.2).
- The first step in making such wagers is understanding that the odds, in whatever format, imply a certain probability of the outcome.
The fighter with the negative value is ‘usually’ considered the favorite, and if both fighters have a negative value, then the fighter with the higher number is the favorite. We have a live odds tool on our site that you’ll notice on lots of our pages. We post live odds in American and Decimal format, but we don’t list live odds in the Fractional format.
College Football, Baseball And Basketball Betting Odds
Sports bettors place their wagers either legally, through a bookmaker/ Singapore Pools sportsbook, or illegally through privately run enterprises. The term “book” is a reference to the books used by wage brokers to track wagers, payouts, and debts. They take bets “up-front”, meaning the bettor must pay the sportsbook before placing the bet. This creates a number of other criminal elements, thus furthering their illegality.
Past Super Bowl Prop Bets
If a line moves you can ensure that BetQL has the most updated line. Finding value in your bets is easy with BetQL because our tool does all the heavy lifting for you. When you’ve found a match you want to bet on it’s always worth comparing odds from different betting sites to find the best available odds.
Betting lines guides and odds for every major sport are listed below. For live betting lines on the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and College football and basketball check out the live sports odds page. Houston’s chances of winning are represented with +350 moneyline odds. Because they are the underdog, a wager on them has the chance to earn more than the amount that is risked. A bet of $100 on the Texans will earn a cash payout of $350 if they are victorious. Using the Houston vs. Kansas City example above, the Kansas City Chiefs have moneyline odds of -500 placed on their chances of winning.
Just remember that when using decimal odds, your original stake is calculated into your potential winnings. When determining your potential net profit, always remember to account for your original stake. When you back heads at 2.1 (47.6% chance) and its true probability is 2.0 (50% chance), you are getting 2.4% of the value. If you’re backing a horse at 4/1 (20% chance) and you give the horse a 25% implied chance of winning (3/1), you are getting 5% of the value. Now that you understand how betting odds work and the logic behind betting odds with bookmakers, it will make it easier to understand how to win when betting on sports.
What About Moneyline Bet Parlays?
The sportsbooks will also offer awesome action on World Series odds, which is a great time of year for baseball betting promotions. Football betting offers some of the most diverse bets in the sportsbook. Because the NFL is the most popular sport for American bettors, football odds are often the most competitive across the platforms as well. This includes a huge selection of football betting promotions, particularly parlay offers.
An example of this would be if a bettor puts $100 on the Mavs to win the NBA Finals. If the odds are -140 for the Mavs against the Suns, that means Dallas is the slight favorite. A bettor would need to stake $140 to win $100 on the packers. If you look at underdog odds, the ‘+’ sign represents the profit you can make for every $100 wagered. Just to say, if you’re unfamiliar with any of the betting language being used here, take a look at our complete glossary of betting terms.
Reduced Juice – When a sportsbook lowers the vig on a game. For example, a sportsbook might offer -105 for a game instead of -110. This reduced juice will allow the potential for a bettor to take home more money if the wager wins. Margin – This is a wager where a bettor selects a team to win or lose by a specific number of points regardless of the point spread.
It is legal in Great Britain and other countries, where it is regulated. In some countries, bookmaking is only performed by the government. Bookmakers may also take bets on non-sporting events, such as political elections. So for -175 you pay $175 to get $100 (in addition of your initial bet $275 in total) and for +225 you get $225 when you bet $100 ($325 in total). Odds of 3-1 indicate that if you bet $100, you will win $400, the original amount of your bet plus the profit. For the hypothetical Borussia Dortmund and Napoli example, the total goal mark is set at Over 2.5 (2.080) and Under 2.5 (1.909).